Forget Fasting and Meditation, there’s a new buzzword in town—Breathwork. Google Trends recently announced an all-time high in searches related to breathing exercises. If there was one thing you thought you had nailed, it would probably be breathing—the most essential component of life. So, how can breathing suddenly be trending and be the key to a better life?
Most of us breathe without any thought at all, but if you stop and observe it, your breath has a dynamic range that can go from slow to fast, deep to shallow, or be uneven. Starting breathwork is as simple as focusing on your breathing—it’s an active meditation that helps quiet the mind enough to access and release unprocessed energy in the body.
Beyond that, here are a few breathwork tips:
- Take 40 deep and quick breaths (many choose to breathe only through their nose). Breathe in as deeply as you can.
- Exhale all the oxygen out of your lungs and hold the breath as long as you can with no oxygen coming in.
- When your body calls for oxygen, hold a little longer.
- When you need to inhale, do so, and hold the breath for 15 seconds.
- Repeat the process for 3-4 times.
After an hour your body feels like it is vibrating and your body starts producing oxytocin, the body's natural hormone for wellness (which also makes you feel naturally high!).
Ready to give it a try?