Eat Up: Seth Brundle's Jerk Chicken Fried Rice
Our #SPWellness Moment w/ Media Personality & Chef Seth Brundle brought an undeniable energy to what we call 'lunchtime flava'! He showed us how to whip up a quick, delicious dish by using leftovers and a few ingredients you have in your fridge and kitchen cabinets already.
Looking for a way to remix your dinner from the night before? Here's a great recipe that will wake up your taste buds instantly. As they say... bon appetit. 😉
2 cups leftover white rice
1/2 cup leftover celery (diced)
1/2 cup leftover carrots (diced)
1 cup leftover jerk chicken (chopped)
6-8 fresh garlic cloves (minced)
4 green onions (chopped)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp maggi seasoning (or soy sauce)
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup frozen peas
1 splash white vinegar
8 cups water
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cilantro
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan.
- In a separate heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, add canola oil once pan is hot.
- Add celery and carrots along with a dash of salt. Allow them to cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add butter and garlic. Continue cooking and stirring an additional 2 minutes.
- Add rice and Maggi seasoning sauce (or soy sauce). Continue cooking and stirring an additional 2 minutes.
- Add jerk chicken and green onions. Continue cooking and stirring an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add peas. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat in the saucepan to a low simmer and add vinegar.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, create a whirlpool in the saucepan by stirring the water clockwise.
- Ladle egg into swirling water.
- Allow it to cook on low for 3 minutes.
- Using the slotted spoon, remove the poached egg and place on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to drain water.
- Ladle rice into the bowl of your choice.
- Place the poached egg on top.
- Garnish with cilantro.
* Makes 3-4 servings.
Want to see Seth in action while he cooked this up? Watch the video on on our IG TV channel here. #EatUp