Now that we are halfway through summer, it’s a great time to begin working on your summer body. You’re notorious for putting everything off, why should your fitness and wellness goals be any different? One way to help you reach your workout goals is to get an accountability buddy, or someone who can hold you accountable and provide emotional support. Studies show you’re 95% more likely to achieve a goal if you have an "accountabilibuddy." But who are you kidding? You’re terrible with commitment and flake on plans with your friends all the time. And since past behavior is a predictor of future behavior, you’re just as likely to cancel last minute on your workout buddy, too. So since you’re going to be a flake, we want to help you be a great flake. Here are 10 pre-written excuses you can use to cancel on your gym buddy.
- Hey man! I’m going to skip the workout this morning. My body is still sore from spin class two weeks ago.
- I can’t go to the gym this week. I just got an s-curl done, so I look good for the reunion. I don’t want to sweat it out.
- I skipped the Dunkin Donuts they had at work yesterday, so I don’t really need to go to the gym today.
- I can’t go today. I forgot to wash my shorts and I don’t want the hot yoga instructor to smell me.
- I’m just going to work out at home today. My mom left me her Denise Austin VHS tapes.
- I have too much on my mind. I can’t spare 40 minutes to mindlessly run on a treadmill. I need to sit in front of the computer and look at memes for a few hours while I figure things out.
- It’s too hot out. I don’t want to get too sweaty before I get there.
- There’s a 10% chance of rain this morning. No, for real. I can see a cloud over the gym. If it starts lightening while I’m on the elliptical, I’ll have a heart attack. Let’s go tomorrow.
- We did leg day yesterday. Today is bed day, right? I can’t move.
- I forgot to charge my phone last night and it’s on 10%. If I can’t listen to my Ruff Ryders playlist, I won’t perform at my best. And by “perform,” I mean scroll through Instagram in between sets.
- I’m going to skip today. My therapist said comparing myself to others at the gym is messing with my self-esteem.
- One word: Diarrhea